St Gertrude’s is located in Smithfield in south-western Sydney, within St Gertrude’s Parish. The school was opened in January 1952 by the Josephite Sisters and continues today to practise the values and traditions of Mary MacKillop, their foundress.
The school is a co-educational K-6 primary school with 28 class groups and an enrolment of over seven hundred students. The school operates within an area of large cultural diversity with the students enrolled reflecting an amalgam of 25 cultural backgrounds.
The school is a feeder school for Patrician Brothers College, Fairfield, for boys and Mary MacKillop College, Wakeley, for girls.